As I reflect on my 10-year anniversary of my consulting and coaching practice, and my prior corporate career of successfully driving profitable growth for my employer and its clients, here are 5 proven insights that I’d like to share. These insights served me well when I led teams, accounts, segments and geographies and consistently prove out as I consult and coach others.
1. High performing teams know WHERE THEY WIN, WHEN THEY WIN AND HOW THEY WIN.
They document successes, share insights, and create a culture that thrives on winning, continuous learning and development.
2. Training workshops by itself are INSUFFICIENT to change behavior and deliver results.
Training, coupled with coaching and documented knowledge transfer to help integrate new behavior, processes and tools into the fabric of an organization, will produce a positive ROI on a sustained basis.
3. Strategy can be realized where EXECUTION AND ACCOUNTABILITY are engrained in the fabric of an organization.
More than 50% of strategies fail due to ineffective communication and a lack of execution. Start by communicating the ‘Why’ behind the strategy and ‘What’ the desired outcomes are to be. Then create the proper governance model and performance metrics to regularly measure progress and share learnings and successes.
4. One size does NOT fit all.
What worked before may not necessarily work now. Also, because we’re all wired differently, we see the world and situations differently based on our own lens. As leaders, it’s our job to recognize each of our respective lenses, and determine the most effective way to inspire, communicate and effect change.
5. The skills you needed as an individual performer AREN’T THE SAME that will enable your success as a leader.
The highest leveraged activity of any leader is developing your team. Once you assume the mindset of a leader vs. an individual contributor, you’ll drive results through others by coaching.